Friday, November 7, 2008

We no longer live in a Christian nation!

I had lunch with some friends yesterday. I said that I stayed in bed a little longer than normal because I'm not overjoyed by the election returns and that I came to the realization that we no longer live in a Christian nation. One of the girls said "but did we ever?" I have to say yes. We have "in God we trust" on our money. We know the stories of the real reason the Pilgrims came to America - to worship God the way they saw best. Not to worship Buddah, Muhammad or Mercedes Benz the way they saw best.
One of the first emails I got yesterday morning was from a friend who just had the text from Romans 13:1-6 in the email. You know that scripture "Everyone must submit to the governing authorities, for their is not authority except that which God has not established...." I believe that God is still on the throne and in control. Never had any doubts. Quite frankly, I'm tired of hearing that in such a non-chalant 'it didn't matter if I voted' kind of way.
Bert listens to this local talk radio guy, Michael Delgorno. He is off the hook, in your face Christian. He isn't ashamed of the gospel and doesn't think you should be either. These type people totally intimidate me but I'm a little envious that I can't be more out spoken like he is. I have a passion for Jesus Christ that I sometimes don't feel like I can contain. It blows my mind that the Creator of the Universe cares about me and will allow me to talk to him everyday. Most kings don't allow you to speak until spoken to much less fall at their feet for every little question every moment of every day. Yet, the King of Kings will allow me to ask him to help me take the next step some mornings. Yet, I don't stand on the roof tops screaming how important He is to me.
Anyway, the radio guy said yesterday that he was sick of the nonchalant attitudes of everyone as well. As a nation we turned our back on the one true God in this election. It was openly reported that in Kenya the people sacrified goats the day of the election asking their gods to elected Mr. Obama. A Christian magazine reported that his grandmother in Hawaii had been sacrificing chickens since he announced his candidacy. Wow!!
Yes, God, the one true, living God, is still on His throne. He is in control. He wasn't surprised by the election returns. But I believe that as a nation we have removed ourselves from any protection God offered not to mention His blessings.
I'm reading a book right now and one sentence keeps playing back in my head. "God always leaves a remnant." This was said during the destruction of Jerusalem (in the book).
Are we that "remnant?" Are we the few believers in 'The Way' that God has left. Christians should be on their faces everyday. We must pray for our new president like we have never prayed for anyone before. We must pray that more of us will be like the radio talk show host and stand up for what we believe and who we believe in. Mr. Obama's followers did.

2 comments:

Paula said...

Deb,
I see God's light shining through you. I agree that our nation, as a whole, has lost sight of it's Christian roots. Obama was not my choice for president, either, but whoever our president is, I still believe that God is in control. Remember that though Obama ran away with the electorial votes, the popular vote was much closer. As you said, we must continue to pray for all of our leaders and our nation.

Danny B said...

Deborah--

Remember, there were 48% of us who didn't vote for this man. We need only change the minds of 2% to make him a "one-termer!" At the rate he's going, he may do our work for us!

Danny B